[Q]: Noble Shaykh, is it sufficient for the one who follows the Sunnah to just call his self a Muslim or must he add to that another name, meaning Salafee?
[A]: Why are not the likes of these questions asked all the time regarding being Ash’aree for example or Maatureedee or Teejaanee or Marghanee or Naqshabandee or Sahrawardee; you find hundreds of paths (of deviation and misguidance) and there is never a problem with that. The reason is, it is as if these are correct with these people and there is no objection to them. The apparent from the one on all these misguided paths is that he is a Muslim (as well) and there is never an objection (to these names). It is as if they see it to be correct and there is never any objection, except with the word: Ahlul-Hadeeth, except with Salafiyyeen.
Ok, what do the words Teejaanee, Naqshabandee or Sahrawardee entail? They entail Hulool and Wahdatul-Wujood (belief that Allaah enters His creation and that Allah becomes one with His creation) and they entail Shirk, kufr (disbelief) and various types of misguidance. As for the word Salafee, what does it entail?
Put the words to the side (for a minute), what is important now is the meanings. What does the word Salafiyyah and Ahlul-Hadeeth entail; do they carry and falsehood?
I ask you all now and you are in front of me, the People of Hadeeth, do you find that they carry any falsehood or call to falsehood? So long as this reality is correct (i.e. that Salafiyyah and Ahlul-Hadeeth do not entail falsehood) then the word is correct and there is no disputing in regards to the words.
However, these (who dispute that) are the people of fitnah (trial, tribulation) and the people who stir up trouble and they only seek to cause trouble upon the truth that this word carries. So know the plots and attacks of the people of fitnah and innovation and continue upon using the word Ahlul-Hadeeth and Salafiyyeen because they are the truth.
Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728H) said that it is incumbent to affiliate with Salafiyyah. If you affiliate with Salafiyyah you do not affiliate with a specific person or the methodology of a specific person and you are not affiliating with innovations, rather (by this) you only affiliate with the Companions and the virtuous generations who were upon guidance by the testimony of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam),
“The best of the people is my generation then those who follow them and then those who follow them. Then there will come after them a people who will give testimony when not asked to do so, and they will vow but not fulfill it and obesity will become abundant in them.” 
So therefore you affiliate with these generations in which the Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) testified to their goodness. Rather, Allaah testified to their goodness,
“You are the best nation to be raised up from Mankind, you command the good and forbid the evil.” [Soorah Aali-’Imraan 3:110] 
: Saheeh: Related by Aboo Daawood (no. 4657), at-Tirmidhee (no. 2222) and Ahmad in al-Musnad (no. 19405). It was authenticated by al-Albaanee in Silsilatus-Saheehah (no. 1845).
: Refer to al-Lubaab (p. 102-103) of Rabee’ al-Madkhalee.
Translation by Abu Suhayl Anwar Wright
- A Brief Overview of the Asha’aree Sect (sabeelalmumineen.wordpress.com)
- Allaah’s Forgiveness (sabeelalmumineen.wordpress.com)
- Determining the Right Way (sabeelalmumineen.wordpress.com)
- With Which Intellect and Religion Can Suicide Bombings and Destruction be Considered Jihaad? – This is a timely reminder from the Muhaddith of al-Madeenah, al-’Allaamah ‘Abdul-Muhsin al-’Abbaad – may Allaah preserve him – concerning the sickness of terrorism, especially in the form of suicide missions and bombings, which have duped some Muslims today. The Shaykh provides a detailed analysis of the issues surrounding this manhaj of destruction, drawing heavily upon evidences from the Book of Allaah and the authentic Sunnah. A must-read for anyone who still entertains doubts about this ideology of terror in the name of Jihaad! (sunnahpublishing.net)
- Clarity in Manhaj and Its Effects in Calling Others to Allaah – Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Ramzaan al-Haajiree explains, with numerous examples from the Qur`aan, the authentic Sunnah and the narrations of the Salaf, how clarity in manhaj as aided the people in accepting the da’wah throughout the history of Islaam. Shaykh Saalih Ibn Sa’d as-Suhaymee commends the discourse and provides examples of how people have plotted to pollute the clarity of manhaj. (sunnahpublishing.net)
- Our Responsibilities with Regards to the Attacks upon Islaam – An excellent reminder about the responsibilities that we as Muslims – lay people, students of knowledge and Scholars – have towards the attacks that have besieged Islaam by way of foreign ideologies, beliefs and manners. This is surely a timely admonishment in light of recent events! (sunnahpublishing.net)
- What is Incumbent upon the New Muslim to Implement and to Abandon – The noble Scholar, al-’Allaamah Saalih Ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan – a member of the Committee of Major Scholars, offers invaulable advice for the one who has newly embraced the Religion of Islaam. The advice is split up into two sections, the first is what the new Muslim must implement into his or her daily life and the second is what he or she must abandon. (sunnahpublishing.net)
- Concerning the Hadeeth, “The nations are about to set upon you…” – The noble Scholar of hadeeth, Imaam Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee answers a question from a lawyer in Baghdad concerning the famous hadeeth of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), “The nations are about to call one another and set upon you, just as the diners set upon their food.” The Shaykh answers concerns about the authenticity of the hadeeth and he explains the objective and message conveyed within this piece of Prophetic wisdom. (sunnahpublishing.net)