بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Shaykh Falh al-Harbee – may Allaah protect him who is one of the scholars of Madinah.
His Answer: ‘This is from the methodology of the Khawaarij of new, let us say for the sake of argument, that we put the principles of Jarh wa Ta’deel aside, now if a man comes to propose for your daughter’s hand in marriage, will you not ask? will you not inquire to his status? Is he a good man? Is he honest? This is what the principles of Jarh wa Ta’deel are!’
- ( Is the Science of al– Jarh wat-Ta’deel Abrogated?salafipublications.com)
– Imaam at-Tirmidhee (d.274H) spoke in his book al-’Ilal about those without understanding who found fault with the Ashaabul-Hadeeth for criticizing the people.
– ‘Abdullaah Ibnul-Mubaarak (d.181H), al-Awzaa’ee (d.157H), Sufyaan ath-Thawree (d.167H) and others were known for criticizing those who were accused of lying in hadeeth as well as the people of innovation.
– Ibn Rajab mentions the example of al-Hasan al-Basree (d.110H) and Taawoos (d.106H) – that they warned against Ma’bad al-Juhanee due to his denial of al-Qadr and Ibn Rajab mentioned that they did this for the benefit of the entire Ummah.
– Abu Waleed al-Baajee and Ibn Hajr (d.852H) spoke about al-Jarh wat-Ta’deel well after the time of hadeeth narrators was over. They specified the criticism of innovators and that this is not from the impermissible backbiting.
– If the Scholars of the Ummah, such as al-’Allaamah Rabee’ Ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee – hafidhahullaah – did not warn us against the false principles of the Soofiyyah, al-Ikhwaanul-Muslimoon, Jamaa’atut-Tableegh and so on…what would be our condition? Would we know where to take knowledge from and where not to take it from?
– Likewise, if they did not warn against the likes of Bilaal Philips, Abu Muslimah, Abu Usaamah, Shadeed Muhammad and Taahir Wyatt, then what would be our condition?
LECTURE: The Science of al-Jarh wat-Ta’deel Exists in Our Times by Abu Suhayl Anwar Wright (sunnahpublishing.net)
- Does Al-Jarh wat-Ta’deel still exist today? (sabeelalmumineen.wordpress.com)
- Al-Imaam al-Bazzaar mentions the reason Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah focused more on writing about the matters of I’tiqaad than the matters of Fiqh (sabeelalmumineen.wordpress.com)